Monday, October 29, 2007

HW 24: The Progress of Women Today

The last chapters in Virginia Woolf’s book A Room of One’s Own makes me realize how far we’ve come with women and the role they play in society. Back when Woolf was writing things weren’t as fair as they are today. Not saying everything is fair nowadays, but it is a lot better. Let’s see then, a room of my own, this book confused me a lot. I understand that she does not mean literally a room of your own but just somewhere that you can go and write. My room here on campus, specifically my bed, is sort of a getaway from the everyday drama of school and life. I can go lie in my bed and read. I’m not much of a writer, so I don’t write usually unless I have to. We have made a lot of progress since then. Women can go into libraries and most women are educated or can be educated just as well as men can now. Woolf states “Few women even now have been graded at the universities; the great trials of the professions, army and navy, trade, political and diplomacy have hardly tested them.” (Woolf, 85) We see this has changed. You see women in the army all the time and so many females at colleges and universities. Recently we have had women stand up and try to run for president even. Woolf also says “Some collaboration has to take place in the mind between the woman and the man before the act of creation can be accomplished.” (Woolf, 104) This shows no single sex can be in the world and we really need both men and women in this world.

Lindsay

No comments: