Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HW 22: Patriarchy.... Excuse Me???

When I was reading chapter two of A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf I noticed that she views the world as being run by patriarchy. She mentioned many different things that gave insight to the patriarchy in England. She talks a lot about the professor, which I think she is meaning any male person. When Woolf says “The most transient visitor to this planet, I thought, who picked up this paper could not fail to be aware, even from this scattered testimony, that England is under the rule of a patriarchy,” (Woolf 33) she is talking about by just reading the newspaper anyone that did not live in England could tell that men ran the country. A quote I liked as well is when she says “Possibly when the professor insisted a little too emphatically upon the inferiority of women, he was concerned not with their inferiority, but with his own superiority,” (Woolf 34) I like this because it is kind of showing how by putting others down it can make some people feel better about themselves. That is awful, I know, but still it happens.

I went to the Boston Globe website www.boston.com to look at the newspaper to see if I thought the US was run by a patriarchy. I’m not really sure. With the Red Sox recently winning against The Indians sending them into the World Series (GO SOX!!) there are a lot of articles about the Sox. That doesn’t mean we are a patriarchy, because not just men like the Red Sox. There are also articles about pets, O.J. Simpson, the space shuttle launch, fashion, and weddings. It seems to me that it is pretty even and no sex is more dominant over the other anymore. Well that you can tell from the media anyways.

Lindsay

No comments: